Skip to main content

Due to decreasing use over the years, I have decided to disable the forum functionality of the site.

Forums will still be available to view but new posts are no longer allowed.

Selection of horses by color in the early 1900's

[quote]Color With the possible exception of the saddle horse color is of more importance in heavy harness horses than in any other type The dark solid colors are preferred as being in proper accord with the elegant vehicles drawn by this horse White ankles are often favored because a horse so marked has his action emphasized and easily seen Grays roans and light colors are heavily discounted or even rejected except for certain special restricted uses such as sporting tandems road fours or cross matched pairs and in horses for ladies use even the white markings are discriminated against True elegance and good taste are wanted and this excludes colors that are flashy and calculated to attract undue attention. [/quote] From Types and market classes of live stock pg 403 By Henry William Vaughan I just thought this was interesting.

Monsterpony Sat, 08/13/2011 - 18:07

Unfortunately, this is still pretty true in the driving world (from what I was told by others). I was told a few months ago to not even bother showing my pony in formal type driving classes as he would discriminated against since he is flashy. Even though he moves like a fancy carriage horse, I would have to show him in a different style to have a shot.

Threnody Sun, 08/14/2011 - 12:36

Did you hear? Margret was gallivanting around her stables on... I a barely dare to say it. A roan marked as garishly as a Budweiser Clydesdale.

Let us hope she never goes in public with that thing.

And she was riding it astride! And to think it was a gift from her husband.

Oh the scandal!

I'm just imagining two overly aristocratic ladies gossiping over the impropriety of flashy colored horses. Don't mind me. :grin:

Daylene Alford Sun, 08/14/2011 - 16:28

In reply to by Daylene Alford

[quote=Threnody]Did you hear? Margret was gallivanting around her stables on... I a barely dare to say it. A roan marked as garishly as a Budweiser Clydesdale.

Let us hope she never goes in public with that thing.

And she was riding it astride! And to think it was a gift from her husband.

Oh the scandal!

I'm just imagining two overly aristocratic ladies gossiping over the impropriety of flashy colored horses. Don't mind me. :grin:[/quote]

:rofl :rofl You should do a post about this on your blog

Threnody Mon, 08/15/2011 - 11:08

Aw. Thanks you guys. :grin: I might have to turn it into a comic because you suggested it admin. ^_^