Skip to main content

Due to decreasing use over the years, I have decided to disable the forum functionality of the site.

Forums will still be available to view but new posts are no longer allowed.

Color 101 question (again) ;)

My favorite stallion is a cute pinto named Mantle. Is he a tobiano? He seems to lack a few characteristics I see listed, as tobiano seems to generally have 'rounded' white patches rather than jagged, and white should cross between the withers and the dock of the tail (although a tiny bit does). I also can't really tell if the white is arranged 'vertically.' Might he be anything else? Here are a few shots: http://www.barbaralivingston.com/gallery/album102/Mantle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.barbaralivingston.com/gallery/album102/Mantle2BL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.barbaralivingston.com/gallery/album102/Mantle3BL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.barbaralivingston.com/gallery/album102/OI5I7152" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Thanks for any thoughts!

accphotography Thu, 04/02/2009 - 22:47

Yup! Definitely tobiano. I also see splash and possibly sabino. (The snip is very splash like.)

White crossing over the topline anywhere without much white on the body indicates tobi. Also the movement of the white appears very downward which is tobi's MO.

He's adorable! What breed is he?

Gander Thu, 04/02/2009 - 23:05

Thanks so much, ACC! :)

He's a Chincoteague pony who wanders in a woodsy/marshy area. It's cool to see him when I visit there, but I always end up removing ticks from the back of my head afterward....yuck..... :o

accphotography Thu, 04/02/2009 - 23:07

Yikes!! *shiver* I'm all too familiar with tick removal... I grew up in the hill country of Texas. *shivers again*

I've always found the Chincoteagues fascinating.

Gander Thu, 04/02/2009 - 23:11

[quote="accphotography"]Yikes!! *shiver* I'm all too familiar with tick removal... I grew up in the hill country of Texas. *shivers again*
[/quote]

Ha - I wasn't! I've never had a tick other than the ones I've gotten at Chincoteague/Assateague. With how rarely I go there, that place must be literally crawling with them.

My head's starting to itch just thinking of it.... :lol:

Sara Thu, 04/02/2009 - 23:15

omg I've never even seen a tick. I'm so lucky I live in Oregon! My best friend (in MD) is currently battling Lyme and it's not at all pleasant. Beware the ticks.

vneerland Thu, 04/02/2009 - 23:23

OT
Makes me wonder why horses in tick infested area's (like mine) don't get more ticks than they do? I have pulled some off ears and 'armpits', but nothing more dramatic than that, really, while dogs can get literally clusters of them?

Morgan Thu, 04/02/2009 - 23:38

must be where they go. I had cedars in TN and I would spend hours pulling hundreds of ticks out of between horse legs and whatnot. alabama and here not so much but still quite a few, it's all oak and pine and pecans and a lot of open prairie. the dogs are the ones who run through the brush and stuff and get more. you still got to watch it on yourself, I'm pretty good at catching them before they bite, you just have to check any little tickle in the summer. which isn't hard after you get the first one, paranoia sets in and you start doing the tick dance :laugh1

gah scorpions! I'd never seen a wild one before moving here. the place is crawling with them in the summer. little creepy translucent ones.

vneerland Thu, 04/02/2009 - 23:50

[quote="Morgan"]must be where they go. I had cedars in TN and I would spend hours pulling hundreds of ticks out of between horse legs and whatnot. alabama and here not so much but still quite a few, it's all oak and pine and pecans and a lot of open prairie. the dogs are the ones who run through the brush and stuff and get more. you still got to watch it on yourself, I'm pretty good at catching them before they bite, you just have to check any little tickle in the summer. which isn't hard after you get the first one, paranoia sets in and you start doing the tick dance :laugh1[/quote]
I pulled one (off of myself) yesterday. :sad Same day I spotted my first hummingbird of the season. And yes, every itch is now a trip to the mirror. :(
I had a horrible year for ticks once and found out that ticks like the crease on a standing dog ear (the skin flap on the lower outside that allows the standing ear to fold) I never would have guessed 25 could easily fit in that pace......... :evil:
(sorry CC) :oops:

[quote]gah scorpions! I'd never seen a wild one before moving here. the place is crawling with them in the summer. little creepy translucent ones[/quote]

I had them right after I moved in. The full size black ones. But with the place lived in again (the infux seems to have stopped) I still don't run around barefoot in the dark though. Wake up, find slippers, shake them out, put them on. :cry: Hmmmmm. What eats scorpions? :?

Sara Thu, 04/02/2009 - 23:54

haha, I've never even seen a scorpion in real life and I can still have nightmares about them! I can stand and eat my lunch while watching my vet suture my horse back together, but crawly things give me the serious creeps.

Morgan Thu, 04/02/2009 - 23:55

[quote="vneerland"]Hmmmmm. What eats scorpions? :?[/quote]
I dont know, but my cat tries. :shock:
If its in the house I have some super killer spray stuff, if it's outside I throw a rock at it and try not to gag (I can't stand squishing things *shudder*) unfortunatly there is usually another one under the rock :?

Gander Fri, 04/03/2009 - 00:40

Scorpions, hmm? No, thank you. :shock: :shock:

I pulled a tick off the base of my neck 4 or 5 days ago, and I just keep assuming I'll get Lyme disease from it. Websites say that [i]some [/i]people get a rash/red circle around the area days after the bite, and [i]some[/i] people get a fever...but some don't. Such things are so reassuring. :cry:

Sorry to make you think of bad dreams, Sara!

accphotography Fri, 04/03/2009 - 02:04

Cedar = tick heaven.

I had a scorpion wander into my apartment in downtown HOUSTON once. I really wish I had saved it's smushed body as NO ONE believed me. :roll: They think I imagined it and that my killing it was a metaphor about my life. (I had been VERY ill and was just beginning to recover.)

lipigirl Fri, 04/03/2009 - 04:09

This post has gone a little off-gilter but...you guys know how to make me crawl !! My friend had a hydrotherpay pool arrive form the states and they were putting the parts together..there was a live scorpion in there - they squashed it !! We have deer ticks manily over here and can get Lymes too...horrid little things - yuck !!!!!!!!! I agree, they mainly like long grass so that is why the dogs and cats get them.

vneerland Fri, 04/03/2009 - 08:21

[quote="accphotography"]I had a scorpion wander into my apartment in downtown HOUSTON once. I really wish I had saved it's smushed body as NO ONE believed me. :roll: [/quote]

When I spotted the first dried up corpse of one in my new house, I thought I was looking at something that looked like a scorpion but wasn't. :? I had lived 35 miles from here and never spotted one in 10 years. Unless you live under a rock like Morgan :rofl [size=75](sorry morgan, could not resist)[/size] I think you have to get 'lucky' to see one. ;)

Adell Fri, 04/03/2009 - 09:33

We have only had to deal with ticks once, and that was more once too many.

We did a trade on a colt and while he was on stall rest after the trip (he got really worked up on the trailer) we started to see the ticks, only about 5 to start with, but then it was 100s! We got to know that colt REALLY well over the next 10 days. There was ticks in his ears, under his tall, on his manbits, EVERYWHERE! :shock:

We had paint thinner in a jar to put the ticks in, then at the end of the day we burt the jar, repet and repet again. Then closely watch the colt for days to make sure there was no more.

RiddleMeThis Fri, 04/03/2009 - 11:42

Wow. This makes me SOOO glad I live in a city. No scorpions, no ticks, only thing I get are some small spiders. And the Occasional GINORMOUS thousand legger, but Ive only seen two of those in 15 years, so Im ok with that!

rabbitsfizz Fri, 04/03/2009 - 14:04

I don't think he is typical enough to even say he is Tobiano Base.
I think it's the other way round.
I think he is Splash base with Tobiano and Sabino, and obviously......

[size=200] [color=#FF0000]TEST FOR LWO[/color][/size]

Monsterpony Sun, 04/05/2009 - 16:16

You can use those topical insect repellants (like the equi-spot or freedom spot-on) and that will kill the ticks easier than pickng them off one by one.

rabbitsfizz Mon, 04/06/2009 - 10:44

We also have lice the size of ticks, and horses can get infested by ticks as well, so do not get too complacent!!!
I can also bring you a few snakes if you like....I am very surprised no-one has ever colonised Ireland with snakes...(I am really just being sour grapey because anytime...ANYTIME...you Americans wish to come and take back your copulating grey squirrels you are MOST welcome to do so!!! :booty )

Heidi Mon, 04/06/2009 - 10:53

[quote="rabbitsfizz"]I am really just being sour grapey because anytime...ANYTIME...you Americans wish to come and take back your copulating grey squirrels you are MOST welcome to do so!!! :booty )[/quote]
O.M.G. :rofl You're KILLING ME! I *must* remember the phrase: "copulating [i]whatever[/i]" the next time my husband ticks me off. I can hear myself now: Where is the copulating windex? ...he constantly takes it from under the sink and out to the garage...[i]where he as *at least* 2 of his OWN bottles of windex[/i]....but can never find. The only reason he knows were to find MY bottle of windex is because I put it away in the same spot, every time. Copulating husband.
Whoops! There I went and said it! :oops: :P

Songcatcher Fri, 04/10/2009 - 11:36

[quote="rabbitsfizz"]We also have lice the size of ticks, and horses can get infested by ticks as well, so do not get too complacent!!!
I can also bring you a few snakes if you like....I am very surprised no-one has ever colonised Ireland with snakes...(I am really just being sour grapey because anytime...ANYTIME...you Americans wish to come and take back your copulating grey squirrels you are MOST welcome to do so!!! :booty )[/quote]
Would be happy to take back the squirrels if you all would take back the sparrows. No, we would still have the nasty starlins. Wouldn't help. Unless you would like to have them also.

rabbitsfizz Sat, 04/11/2009 - 08:51

And the rabbits......yes, yes, I know!!!!
We are over run with Muntjac.......and wild Boar are making a come back, big time, not far away...that is more worrying as they are dangerous!
It's just that the Greys have actually all but wiped out the Reds now, and I had one of the last strongholds of Reds just up the road form me, then they started building and they knocked down some trees, and, for some reason these builders aren't made to replant with Deciduous trees so they planted bloody conifers (the bane of my life) and of course the Greys had a motorway straight to the Reds home and now they are gone.
Scotland has the last colony now, but with all the conifer planting up there they won't last long.
I just hope Europe is aware of the dangers and has orders to shoot on sight!

vneerland Sat, 04/11/2009 - 10:04

Wild hogs? I seem to remember the [i]plague[/i] that some of us (inlcuding me) have with them at this side of the pond, started with them coming over from the old country first. :evil: While I do like my ham and bacons, I can do without the prints of 500lb big daddy right behind my house at the pond. :o And since they never travel alone, I am glad to have assertive dogs and pray that the hogs that live here will adhere to the rule that they are still supposed to run from us. And all I can do is hope that I do not run into a boar in a bad bad mood or get between mommy and one of the babies of the third litter of 4 that year. :o These blame things breed like rabbits and are very hard to shoot. They say around here that there are two types of land owners in Texas. Those who have hogs and those who will have hogs. :roll: Yay............

Songcatcher Sat, 04/11/2009 - 10:19

Here in Oklahoma, there are wild hogs all around us and it is open season on them year round. They are a reall nusiance. Fortunately my pasture is fenced all the way around with wire cattle pannels.